Thursday, May 04, 2006

Take a Hike

Last weekend R&K called up and wanted to know if we wanted to go hiking out at Gans Creek. Vicki wasn't feeling well, so I went, and we coaxed Daryl along as well. Haven't been out there in many years.

This is a good time of year for such a hike. Lots of flowers out, and the trees are just greening up nicely. It's not hot or humid yet, and the bugs aren't out in full force yet either.

Ryan wanted to try out his new backpack and see how it felt. He also got one of those nifty Eureka Solitaire lightweight backpacking tents I've been looking at for about a year now. At 2 lbs, 9 oz, it's a pretty light little bugger. My WalMart Ozark Trails "Kids" tent that I used is about 8 oz heavier. Has a lot more room though. But condensation problems because my face ends up too close to the tent wall ( I sleep diagonally in it -- the corner runs about 8-10" above my face.) Still, 8 oz is 8 oz. Hmmmm...

I got tomatoes, peppers, & flowers this weekend to get the deck decked out and the veggie garden started. I'll need some good manure for the veggies. Maybe I'll try to scare some up out at mom & dad's in a couple of weeks.

And in insane news, Ryan and I have started working out again... in the morning. So now the alarm is set for 5:30 am, and I go across the street and do weight training with him. Well it's nice to have it out of the way so you don't have to do it when you get home. Which leaves more time for.... Beer!!! And other stuff we need to get done. Like changing my oil the other night.

Got a Weider Max Ultra home gym for Vicki (well, for me, too -- but it's in lieu of Vicki's gym membership). It's like a bowflex, but it doesn't have as small a storage footprint. Still, it was half the price... maybe less than that. So I've also been playing coach Phil when I get home. I continue to work out with Ryan though, on the free weights in the morning. She's doing well on it.

A crack has developed in my windshield. Grrrr. Too long to repair, too. So... that'll be $220.

What else, what else? Going to go pick up Vicki's mom tomorrow... bring her back Saturday -- so I'll have one weekend day at home. It's for her birthday and Mothers' day. Larry's going to lend us his slide projector so we can look at old slides from Vicki's parents. I looked at a few of young Vicki last night (like at 6 years old). Man, what a cutie!

No comments:

Post a Comment