Saturday, January 12, 2008

Majestic

Drove out to my parents' house for our family's Christmas get-together today, and we were treated to this sight about a mile or so from their house. A bird took off from the middle of the road where it had been feeding on a dead possum, and as it flew up 20 or so yards in front of the car, I saw the distinctive white tail, dark body, and majestic wingspan.

Is that a bald eagle??? I have never, to my knowledge, seen one in the wild. If I have it was certainly not this close. I didn't even think we had any here. I quickly pulled the car to the side of the road and hauled out my ever-present camera.

He wasn't going anywhere. He had a guaranteed meal to finish and he wasn't about to leave it. He waited high in a tree for me to move on, and I'm sure he went right back to it after we left.

No wonder we picked this bird as our national symbol. Wow.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I absolutely LOVE your photographs!...your mother-in-law(?) in bed with the cat, the campsite, the portrait with it snowing, the decorated cat, the eagle, the frozen stream, roasting hot dogs, and even the colorful bowl of spaghetti sauce!

    You've got a talent for taking ordinary activities and making them interesting to read.

    Thanks for some refreshing material to view!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you, Sheila! I feel like I've kind of been slacking in the writing department, but it's good to hear somebody enjoys it.

    I do this for many reasons -- the main one is to provide a way for family and friends flung far and wide to check in and see how we're doing. And of course since I'm a Photogaholic I post pictures to illustrate this ... sort of ... online diary.

    Of course, all are welcomed here, and it was so nice of you to drop by and pat my head. Kinda gives me the warm fuzzies, a bit!

    ReplyDelete